Date:      Thu, 30 Dec 1999 12:40:39 -0800
From:      "John Anderson" <janderso@jps.net>
To:        <freebsd-hardware@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   HPT366 Controller Questions

------=_NextPart_000_0011_01BF52C3.14160130

Hello All - I am very new to FreeBSD, however I have had about 3 years =
of Linux experience so am not totally new to UNIX.  I became somewhat =
annoyed at Linux, and so I decided to look into FreeBSD.  I have a CD of =
3.4-RELEASE.  I am currently running dual Celerons on a BP6 (With a =
HPT366 hard drive controller) and a Western Digital Expert 9gb hard =
drive.  The drive is a 7200RPM ATA/66 drive.  My problem is that I =
really have to have my hard drive on the HPT366 controller, and cannot =
run it from the ATA/33 controller on the motherboard.
    Is there any way to make FreeBSD 3.4-RELEASE work with this =
combination of hard drive and controller?  I know that in Linux I can =
feed the kernel (Which I did not patch for ATA/66 support) the string =
`ide2=3D0xd000,0xd402,15 ide3=3D0xdc00,0xe002,15` and it will force the =
HPT366 controller into working like an ATA/33 controller (I think Linux =
just treats it like an ATA/33 controller at those addresses and it just =
works because the HPT366 is completely backwards compatible, but I am =
not sure).  Is there any way to accomplish this in FreeBSD?  My problem =
is I have no clue as to how to do this.  Do I need to mess with the I/O =
addresses of wdc0 or wdc1?  When I booted for the first time off the CD, =
I went through the Visual (Non-CLI) configuration menu, and made sure =
wdc0 and wdc1 were there, but then on boot the kernel only detected my =
CD-ROM which is on wdc0 (Primary non-HPT366 controller), and found =
nothing on the HPT366 controller.  Is there a way for it to see wdc1 as =
the primary channel on the HPT366 (Would that be wdc3?)?  Can FreeBSD =
see more than two channels/controllers at boot?  Am I totally screwed?  =
Do I need to run with the CURRENT branch?  Please help, thanks!'
-John Anderson

------=_NextPart_000_0011_01BF52C3.14160130

<HTML><HEAD>
http-equiv=3DContent-Type>
<STYLE></STYLE>
</HEAD>
<BODY bgColor=3D#ffffff>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>Hello All - I am very new to FreeBSD, =
however I=20
have had about 3 years of Linux experience so am not totally new to =
UNIX.&nbsp;=20
I became somewhat annoyed at Linux, and so I decided to look into =
FreeBSD.&nbsp;=20
I have a CD of 3.4-RELEASE.&nbsp; I am currently running dual Celerons =
on a BP6=20
(With a HPT366 hard drive controller) and a Western Digital Expert 9gb =
hard=20
drive.&nbsp; The drive is a 7200RPM ATA/66 drive.&nbsp; My problem is =
that I=20
really have to have my hard drive on the HPT366 controller, and cannot =
run it=20
from the ATA/33 controller on the motherboard.</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp; Is there any way to =
make FreeBSD=20
3.4-RELEASE work&nbsp;with this combination of hard drive and =
controller?&nbsp;=20
I know that in Linux I can feed the kernel (Which I did not patch for =
ATA/66=20
support) the string `ide2=3D0xd000,0xd402,15 ide3=3D0xdc00,0xe002,15` =
and it will=20
force the HPT366 controller into working like an ATA/33 controller (I =
think=20
Linux just treats it like an ATA/33 controller at those addresses and it =
just=20
works because the HPT366 is completely backwards compatible, but I am =
not=20
sure).&nbsp; Is there any way to accomplish this in FreeBSD?&nbsp; My =
problem is=20
I have no clue as to how to do this.&nbsp; Do I need to mess with the =
I/O=20
addresses of wdc0 or wdc1?&nbsp; When I booted for the first time off =
the CD, I=20
went through the Visual (Non-CLI) configuration menu, and made sure wdc0 =
and=20
wdc1 were there, but then on boot the kernel only detected my CD-ROM =
which is on=20
wdc0 (Primary non-HPT366 controller), and&nbsp;found nothing on the =
HPT366=20
controller.&nbsp; Is there a way for it to see wdc1 as the primary =
channel on=20
the HPT366 (Would that be wdc3?)?&nbsp; Can FreeBSD see more than two=20
channels/controllers at boot?&nbsp; Am I totally screwed?&nbsp; Do I =
need to run=20
with the CURRENT branch?&nbsp; Please help, thanks!'</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>-John =
Anderson</FONT></DIV></BODY></HTML>

------=_NextPart_000_0011_01BF52C3.14160130--