Date:      Fri, 2 Apr 1999 09:55:47 +1000
From:      Sue Blake <sue@welearn.com.au>
To:        Troy Craig <tcraig@medt.com>
Cc:        freebsd-newbies@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: I think I am losing the battle.

On Thu, Apr 01, 1999 at 06:14:58PM -0500, Troy Craig wrote:
> I currently am the Sys Admin for a small I.S.P. (medt.com).  We hired
> an outside tech to setup our site and get things running. Since then
> I have attempted to learn all I can about Freebsd. But I have fallen
> short.
>
> So I decided that my main prob was that I didn't have a machine at home
> running FreeBSD that I could tinker with, without worrying about Nuking
> our main server.
>
> Well, now I have FreeBSD running at home but I am still getting
> nowhere. I have a good understanding of Dos and Windows but I have
> learned that that really doesn't mean much, and have been around
> computers for about 15 years but much of this escapes me. The system
> hierarchy to me is so chaotic that I have trouble knowing where
> anything is.
>
> Is there a forum or List server that I could join that deals with lost
> newbies like me?

Yes, this one :-)  We can probably help you to work out what you need
to do to get back on track, and where to go for any help you need.

You sound like you have a good background to learn FreeBSD, a good
attitude, and the right opportunities and motivation to learn. We just
have to work out why it's not working, or why you feel that it's not
working.

If in any doubt about your background, look at
http://www.welearn.com.au/freebsd/slow/ready.html and let us know where
you think you fall short. They might not be areas that matter too much.

Your only disadvantage that I can see is that you didn't set up the
system yourself and it'll be real bad news if you break anything. That
could have been making nervousness get in the way before you had your
home system, and by then it was ingrained. Or maybe you've just been
reading the wrong books, or expecting too much of yourself. Let's try
to get to the bottom of this, because I'm sure there's others in your
position without the courage to speak up.

What have you done to try to get on top of FreeBSD? What have you read
(books, FreeBSD docs, other docs on the system, tutorials on the web,
etc)? Have you done a course? What kinds of documentation and reference
material are held at work? When reading this stuff, do you read it
passively or try everything out as you go? Have you worked out a
learning plan with goals set out in small chunks?

Do you have any friends who run unix systems who you spend social time
with, either in person or on the Internet? Are your computer using
friends way superior in unix experience, Or do you mix mostly with
people who can barely spell "computer"? How are you placed at work,
are you the person who is supposed to know most about the system?
You see what I'm getting at here. Some people you mix with can make you
feel really good, but others can be intimidating or have too much
blind faith in your god-like image.

Are there certain tasks, certain areas of knowledge, that you just
can't come at? For example, you might start feeling down every time you
even think about apache because you've botched it up in the past,
but cope fine with DNS if you take it slowly. It doesn't necessarily
have anything to do with how hard the tasks are. There might be some
things that you need to tackle again from the start, with a fresh
approach and a positive outlook.

What are the problems or areas of confusion that are irritating you
most at the moment?

It sounds to me that there's one penny that didn't drop for you early
on, and if we can find that everything else might start falling into
place. Cross your fingers :-)

We've all been through times when we felt just like you do now.
Let's see if getting to the bottom of this can make the path ahead a
little easier for you!

--

Regards,
        -*Sue*-