Date:      Tue, 20 Aug 2002 14:37:29 +0100
From:      Matthew Seaman <m.seaman@infracaninophile.co.uk>
To:        Byron Schlemmer <me@byron.me.uk>
Cc:        FreeBSD-Questions <freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: Strange SSH publickey behaviour

On Tue, Aug 20, 2002 at 11:27:16AM +0100, Byron Schlemmer wrote:

> I am using OpenSSH (OpenSSH_3.4p1) with protocol version 2 with
> publickey authentication. I am able to use my private key
> ($HOME/.ssh/id_dsa) to connect to a number of machines on my network
> using key based authentication without problems, except to one
> particular machine. For the life of me I can't figure out why. If I
> create a new key set for my existing user and copy this new public key
> over to this box I'm still unable to login with keybased auth. However
> if I create a new user account on both the client and server, generate a
> key and copy this accross I'm able to login just fine.
>
> I'm beginning to think this machine just does not like me anymore.

Check the permissions of your home directory, the ~/.ssh directory and
all the files within it on the troublesome machine.  Strip off any
group or world write permissions. Also, if your home dir on that box
is NFS mounted without root access, make sure that the world can read
any files containing *public* key data.

OpenSSH will ignore an authorized_keys file if it perceives that
someone other than the file's owner or root can modify it, which
includes playing tricks moving directories around higher up the
directory heirarchy.

	Cheers,

	Matthew

                                                      Savill Way
Tel: +44 1628 476614                                  Marlow
Fax: +44 0870 0522645                                 Bucks., SL7 1TH UK