Date:      Tue, 5 Sep 2017 11:37:27 -0500 (CDT)
From:      "Valeri Galtsev" <galtsev@kicp.uchicago.edu>
To:        "Adam Vande More" <amvandemore@gmail.com>
Cc:        "John Chapman" <johnchapman475@btinternet.com>, "FREE BSD" <freebsd-questions@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: New Installation

On Tue, September 5, 2017 11:30 am, Adam Vande More wrote:
> On Tue, Sep 5, 2017 at 8:17 AM, John Chapman
> <johnchapman475@btinternet.com>
> wrote:
>
>> Hi,
>> I have a well used laptop that had Windows Vista on when I bought it. As
>> you know Windows no longer supports Vista and I don't see the point in
>> upgrading at great expense.
>> Is it possible to just uninstall Windows and download FreeBSD. My only
>> real needs for Window was the Office function and I believe all that is
>> covered by Free BSD,isn't it?
>> If installation is that easy, can you send a link I can download. I am
>> based in the UK
>>

> Your best experience may be to use trueos, but you should verify hardware
> compatibility first.  Specifically your wifi and video card should be
> verified.

I had TrueOS on my laptop at some point, but not for long. I switched from
it to FreeeBSD. I know, tastes differ, and after all I'm sysadmin who
maintains quite some number of FreeBSD servers, so (with the help of this
list, Mr. Polytropon in particular) it wasn't too difficult to make
everything work smoothly on laptop.

Good luck!

Valeri