Date:      Fri, 17 Jan 1997 17:53:45 -0800 (PST)
From:      Doug White <dwhite@gdi.uoregon.edu>
To:        Stefan Esser <se@freebsd.org>
Cc:        hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: ncr probe FAILS on 2.2-BETA_A!

On Fri, 10 Jan 1997, Stefan Esser wrote:

> Ok, I understand this. But send verbose boot
> messages from FreeBSD-ALPHA, at least. I need
> to know your system configuration, or I won't
> know, whether any part that I modified between
> ALPHA and BETA might be the culprit ...

Just as an update to this:  I did get the 2.2-BETA source on the machine
(I was a bit squemish about blowing away my src tree, but it was broken
anyway), checked out rev 1.82 of ncr.c and are recompiling the kernel
now (your patch failed; BETA ships with 1.82.2.3 not .2.5).

If this works, then I'll sub in the latest rev and see if that works.  If
that doesn't, I'll work my way from 1.82 on up until it blows up...

I also upgraded the adapter's BIOS to 4.03; no difference.

It's like it gets stuck during the wait cycle...the keyboard goes
inoperative during the ALPHA wait, but springs back after the wait
completes 15s later.