Date:      Sun, 11 Apr 1999 01:41:41 -0600
From:      Jonathan Frazier <wolfnet@wolfnet-irc.org>
To:        freebsd-stable@freebsd.org
Subject:   ld problems

Tonight I downloaded an updated ports tree on the ftp.freebsd.org site.
Afterwards I started getting errors.  I do not know what I did nor how
but it seems I am no missing /usr/libexec/ld-elf.so.1.  I now can cd and
ls and pico but that's about it.  I can not compile anything and can not
remake my src or libexec.  I checked and I do not have the file it's
asking for.  I am running 3.1-stable, however when I tried to make a
port it stated that I had an old world and needed to rebuild, which is
why I downloaded the new ports and cvssed a new world.  I am now afraid
to shut the machine off as I know I won't get back into anything.  I can
not start any new programs or even send mail (luckily I had netscape
running before this all happened).  I looked on the ftp site and could
not find a binary for ld-elf.so.1.  Any help would be greatly
appreciated!

bash-2.01# ftp ftp.freebsd.org
ELF interpreter /usr/libexec/ld-elf.so.1 not found
Abort trap
bash-2.01# cd /usr/src/libexec
bash-2.01# make all install

--