Date:      Mon, 18 Dec 2000 15:28:27 -0500
From:      Mathew KANNER <mat@cs.mcgill.ca>
To:        Matthew Seaman <m.seaman@inpharmatica.co.uk>
Cc:        Jordan Hubbard <jkh@winston.osd.bsdi.com>, Andrew Reilly <areilly@bigpond.net.au>, Patryk Zadarnowski <pat@jantar.org>, Tony Finch <dot@dotat.at>, SteveB <admin@bsdfan.cncdsl.com>, freebsd-chat@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: kernel type

On Dec 18, Matthew Seaman wrote:
> Jordan Hubbard wrote:
> > > [...]
>
> As I remember, way back in the mists of 1990 when I first encountered a NeXT
> box, one of the principal reasons for selecting the Mach 2.x micro kernel was
> "mach messaging".  This was a unified mechanism for almost all IPC both within
> one host or distributed over a network, where eg. sockets (netork or unix
> domain), pipes etc. were seen as abstractions of the core messaging function.
> This fitted very well with the general OO design philosophy of the company.
> If anyone has access to a copy of the socket(2) man page from any NeXTSTEP
> version, I dimly remember there being an informative paragraph about this
> point.

	I just took a peek at NeXTSTEP 3.2 and the text of the
socket(2) man page is almost identical to that of FreeBSD 4.2.  The
only difference that I could see is that we support more domain types.

	I'm sure it's old news to you guys I think it's neat that we
share history like that (they even have the "tune a fish" joke).

        --Mat

--
Mathew Kanner <mat@CS.McGill.CA>  SOCS McGill University
   Obtuse quote: He [not me] understands: "This field of perception