Date:      Fri, 26 May 2006 12:41:09 +0100 (BST)
From:      Robert Watson <rwatson@FreeBSD.org>
To:        etalk etalk <yanyuejin2004@hotmail.com>
Cc:        freebsd-fs@freebsd.org, freebsd-fs-request@freebsd.org, freebsd-performance-request@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: about ufs filesystem io performance!

On Fri, 26 May 2006, etalk etalk wrote:

> b. Is Bsd6.0 make improvement in file system io performance when comparing
> to Bsd5.3?

I can't speak to (a), but I can say that FreeBSD 6.x is often significantly
faster for file system performance, especially on SMP.  This is because the
Giant lock no longer covers the UFS file system.  My recommendation would be
to use FreeBSD 6.1 in preference to earlier 5.x or 6.x releases.  While it is
a recent release, it is also very promising, as it reflects a significant
refinement on the 6.0 release, with important stability and performance
improvments in many areas.  It is the right baseline to measure and optimize
from.

Robert N M Watson