Date:      Tue, 21 Sep 1999 18:46:05 -0400
From:      Ben Williams <williamsl@home.com>
To:        FreeBSD questions <freebsd-questions@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re[2]: How does this password encryption stuff work?

> Are you saying that if the password was 'secure' that the key would be
> 'se'? I have tried that but have not had any luck as of yet. It seems that
/snip/
  The answer to that is both "yes" and "no." Read on.

>> The "key" is the first two characters of the plain text password.

   Actually  the  "key"  is  the first two characters of the encrypted
password.  This  was  done  IIRC  because the crypt() algorithm uses a
one-way  encryption  (plain-text  -> encrypted) with variable keys and
that was the only sensible way to keep the key around to use next time
the user logged in.

>> Dan
>> --
/snip/