Date:      Thu, 30 Jul 1998 16:51:33 +0200 (CEST)
From:      chrw <shredder@hack.babel.dk>
To:        freebsd-isp@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   gnu cpio appending to tape

Hello,

I have a problem which really should be straightforward but it keeps
bugging me. I want to append files to an existing gnu cpio archieve on
tape. I write an cpio archieve to the tape using the no rewind device

gfind . -blah | gcpio -ov > /dev/rmt/tps0d6nr

 mt status
        Controller: SCSI
        Device: HP: C1533A          A612   9
        Drive type: DAT
        Media : READY, writable, not at BOT, block 1

it doesnt rewind the tape, so now i want to find a new set of files and
append them at the current position of the tape, into the existing
archieve.

gfind . -blahblah | gcpio -ov --append -O /dev/rmt/tps0d6nr

- this however produces this msg:

Found end of tape.  Load next tape and press RETURN.

Apparently cpio writes an end of tape mark or end of archieve mark, which
cpio interpretes as "no-more-space" left on tape .. is there any way of
ignoring this mark or some other way to bypass it? Comments are very
welcome, or alternative ways to implement a working append-to-tape
routine. The streamer is HP scsi and it supports append operations, it
does NOT run on a fbsd based machine, so this mail might be way off-topic .. flame-away :>

CW