Date:      Sat, 12 Jan 2008 02:03:50 +1100
From:      Jerahmy Pocott <quakenet1@optusnet.com.au>
To:        BUGS - Generic chat <bugs@bugs.au.freebsd.org>
Subject:   Problem with rsync to smbfs over vpn

Hello all,

I'm getting a lot of time out problems using rsync between
a local filesystem and a remote smb filesystem that is
mounted with mount_smbfs over an encrypted wan tunnel.

The following are the most common error messages:

rsync: recv_generator: failed to stat "somefile": Operation timed out
(60)

rsync: writefd_unbuffered failed to write x bytes [sender]: Broken
pipe (32)
io timeout after 30 seconds -- exiting
rsync error: timeout in data send/receive (code 30) at io.c(180)
[sender=2.6.8]

rsync: writefd_unbuffered failed to write x bytes [generator]: Broken
pipe (32)
rsync error: error in rsync protocol data stream (code 12) at
io.c(1124) [generator=2.6.8]

rsync error: error in file IO (code 11) at receiver.c(253)
[receiver=2.6.8]
rsync: connection unexpectedly closed (x bytes received so far)
[generator]

What would be the likely cause of these? I'm thinking it
is either some issue with the wan or tunneling, as I'v
had no issues with the exact same set up over lan.. Also
these errors are intermittent (though regular) and
sometimes it works. The longer it takes to sync the
greater the chance for errors it would seem.

Thanks,
Jerahmy.