Date:      Wed, 26 Jul 2000 10:32:44 +0930
From:      Greg Lehey <grog@lemis.com>
To:        Meagan Jia Pi <meagan@e-lingo.com>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: a newbie RAID5 question

On Tuesday, 25 July 2000 at 15:18:12 -0700, Meagan Jia Pi wrote:
> Hi All,
>
> I'd like to test single disk failure recovery a RAID5 system with
> FreeBSD installed.  But I am not fully convinced that the test will
> be successful. I understand that parity is distributed among the
> drives, but how can a blank disk be recovered from the other disks?

Well, you can read from the array when one disk is missing, so all the
code needs to do is:

1.  If the block to be replaced is a data block, read it from the
    array and write it back to the drive.

2.  If it's a parity block, read the band and create the parity from
    it.

See /usr/src/sys/dev/vinum/vinumrevive.c, function revive_block, for
how this is implemented for Vinum.

Greg