Date:      Tue, 28 Nov 2000 01:25:07 -0600 (CST)
From:      gary <medmanks@mindspring.com>
To:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Basic stuff

On Mon, Nov 27, 2000 at 10:48:46PM -0600 or thereabouts, David Kelly wrote:

> Its possible to use binary Linux RPM's in FreeBSD. The RPM thing is
> ported to a native FreeBSD binary in order to handle Linux things for
> Linux "emulation" in Linux ports (its not really emulation, only an ABI
> translation).

> % su
> # cd /usr/ports/emulators/linux_base
> # make install && make clean

......(snip)

David, Mike, and Alfred,

Thank you for taking the time for your individual responses to my
questions.  You have answered them in enough depth for me to want to
sink my teeth into the power pack. Of course, I will be reading the
manual too.  I am looking forward to getting into this powerhouse
OS. It will be nice to be back in Unix again.

> GNOME and KDE native for FreeBSD follow closely behind the very
> latest.

Good news, I should have known.

> I get the impression from Linux users that they are used to collections
> of precompiled binaries in rpm format. Much like traditional shareware
> collections for DOS/Windows. When they look at FreeBSD there is
> confusion about our ports and packages. FreeBSD didn't have a marketing
> inspiration to give them catchy names such as RPM. And I sense a bit of
> this confusion from you. In FreeBSD when talking about an application,
> a "port" is a collection of Makefile rules and possibly patchfiles and
> scripts, which are able to download, patch, compile, and install, an
> application from its original sources with the command, "make install".
> A package is nothing but a precompiled port. Often made with "make
> package".

Interesting, yes to some degree, but I am used to building from both
source rpms and tar balls using ./configure - make - make install too
<g>  I think the BSD way of doing it is, well an elegant way of doing
it. I think my initial confusion was my own mental correlation of my
Linux experience to that of BSD.  Your above explanation is well
done, and extremely digestible.

> I install most everything the "ports" way. In the event I suspect a
> FreeBSD upgrade needs recompiled applications I already have the source
> files in /usr/ports/distfiles and can built them very easily.

Excellent idea.

> One thing in particular I avoid compiling myself, cvsup, as building
> that binary requires building Modula-3 (if you don't have it the port
> will automatically recurse, fetch, and start installing everything it
> needs). Broke myself of building that way back when I was at sub-Pentium
> speed.

I will keep this in mind during my new adventure.

Thank you all.

--
Best regards,
Gary

Today's thought: Before you criticize someone walk a mile in his
shoes.  That way if he gets angry he'll be a mile away -- and
barefoot.