Date:      Wed, 26 Jul 2000 09:00:29 +0700 (ALMST)
From:      Boris Popov <bp@butya.kz>
To:        Poul-Henning Kamp <phk@critter.freebsd.dk>
Cc:        mjacob@feral.com, freebsd-arch@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: How much do we need the all-singing, all-dancing devfs?

On Tue, 25 Jul 2000, Poul-Henning Kamp wrote:

> I don't know if you followed some of the recent discussions about
> DEVFS, but one of my ideas is that cloning be implemented so that
:)
> if the DEVFS doesn't find the name somebody tries to namei(), it
> will poll a list of driver functions (registered by the drivers)
> and if any of the drivers can instatiate the requested name they
> do so and the lookup succeeds from there.
[skip]
> The advantage to that scheme is that we don't clutter /dev
> with 7 different names for each disk, only the names people
> try to open are present.

	This might be overriden by device driver if it wishes to make all
known aliases visible. I've played a bit with this at the beginning of
this year, and found that seeing both /dev/ad1s2a and /dev/testdisk:a
(the second is a hardlink to the first) is very useful. Current slice code
needs to be tweaked slightly to handle this, but better it needs to be
rewritten. CVS logs shows that Julian tried to do that, but code and
related comments was removed for some reason.

--
Boris Popov
http://www.butya.kz/~bp/