Date:      Mon, 21 Jun 1999 11:42:46 -0700 (PDT)
From:      Doug <Doug@gorean.org>
To:        Sheldon Hearn <sheldonh@uunet.co.za>
Cc:        freebsd-hackers@FreeBSD.ORG, Dag-Erling Smorgrav <des@flood.ping.uio.no>, freebsd-gnats-submit@FreeBSD.ORG, alex@wnm.net
Subject:   Re: [Fwd: Re: misc/11796: Bad lines in 3.2-RELEASE inetd.conf]

On Mon, 21 Jun 1999, Sheldon Hearn wrote:

> On Mon, 21 Jun 1999 11:12:26 MST, Doug wrote:
>
> > 	Can you point out exactly what part of the man page that you are
> > referring to that contradicts what the inetd man page says? Have you
> > checked the actual code for inetd to verify that it will work with
> > services aliases?
>
> Certainly. From services(5):

	Quoting the part of the man page that says there are such a thing
as aliases does not refute the part of the inetd man page that says even
though there are such a thing as aliases, you can't use them for internal
services.

> > 	In my experience, and in the experience of the PR poster it *is*
> > necessary to use the canonical name of the service, however if you can
> > check the code, test it thoroughly and determine that inetd works
> > perfectly well with aliases, then feel free to change the man page for
> > inetd.
>
> Since the manpage supports my experience thus far, I really can't see
> how you'd put the burden of proof on me. :-)

	You are really really missing my point here, so I will state it
again. If you have carefully examined the code for *every* case of *every*
internal service, and you have tested it thoroughly, and you are 100% sure
that the man page is in error, change the man page.

	If all of the above is not true, you should change the example for
ident in the sample conf file because even IF it works, even if it works
*100%* of the time for YOU, there is an outstanding PR that shows it
doesn't work for everybody, and there is absolutely no justification for
leaving an example in the conf file that conflicts with the man page. (No
justification other than the ubiquitous, "We've always done it that way.")

	I sincerely hope that I've made myself sufficiently clear on this.
If you are still confused, please feel free to respond.

Thanks,

Doug