Date:      Mon, 9 Jun 1997 10:33:23 -0400
From:      Randall Hopper <rhh@ct.picker.com>
To:        Michael Smith <msmith@atrad.adelaide.edu.au>
Cc:        Amancio Hasty <hasty@rah.star-gate.com>, multimedia@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: "mtv" - unimplemented ioctl

Michael Smith:
 |Amancio Hasty stands accused of saying:
 |>
 |> If you run ftp://rah.star-gate.com/pub/guspnp7.tar.gz it supports
 |> that ioctl.
 |
 |Hmm.  Unfortunately, I only have an SB-AWE64, so I lose there.  I'm
 |working on putting a decent test system together so's to be able to do
 |"real" development again, but time & funds are currently against me 8(

Well sounds like we're in the same boat H/W-wise.  I've got a SB32.  Was
pretty involved with fxtv this weekend, but did sidetrack for about half
hour with the pnp7 driver, uncommenting all the commented-out support for
non-GusPNP cards and coaxing it to build under 2.2.1.

Some /dev/audio and /dev/dsp output progs work, but "mtv" just reports that
the device is busy or doesn't support the right same rate, and recording
from dsp just bails out (interrupted sys call).  Also, I get nice system
lock-ups and reboots when I interrupt a /dev/dsp output app.

Shelved for another day, but if anyone else with a SB16/SB32/AWE32/AWE64
has any desire to pick up with this now that it builds, I'd be glad to send
you my mods.

BTW, with the 3.0 voxware checked into the source tree, I noticed that mtv
does in fact seem to be outputing the right audio.  The problem is is that
mtv is setting the master volume control in the audio driver to 0 every
time it plays a sample.  If you wiggle the audio volume fast enough, you
can hear continuous audio  :-), ...but I'm not that fast.

Randall