Date:      Mon, 14 Apr 1997 13:19:16 -0700 (MST)
From:      Terry Lambert <terry@lambert.org>
To:        vanmaren@fast.cs.utah.edu (Kevin Van Maren)
Cc:        terry@lambert.org, freebsd-smp@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Tyan ATX 1668

> >I stand corrected.
> >
> >You know, of course, that there isn't a 5th slot, right?  It's a
> >second fourth slot.
>
> Huh?
>
> There *are* *5* slots.
> Look at http://www.tyan.com/html/s166{2,8}.html  for a picture.

The 4th and 5th slot are electrically equivalent.  There are only
4 PCI interrupts, and a direct cascade mand 5 & 1 have the same ordering
and a non-direct cascade meand that 4 & 5 have the same ordering;
in the case of that particular motherboard, $ & 5 are electrically
equivalent in all respects except bus arbitration (and that's
irrelevant at the slot level, at least for PCI).

> >It's probably more correct to claim that they don't have an entry
> >for a fifth device...
> >

> Here is `part' of a dmesg output (stripped out disks, etc) for
> a S1662 motherboard.  Only one processor right now, but I'm using
> this one since it has 5 PCI cards in it (plus ISA video).

[ ... ]

> PCI Bus #0 has 5 slots:
> 10: Pci bridge
> 	4: Network (de2,irq 11)
> 	5: Network (de3,irq 11, says 10)
> 11: Mass Storage (ahc0,irq 5)
> 12: Network (de0,irq 9)
> 13: Mass Storage (de1,irq 10)
> 14: Network (ahc1,irq 11)
>
> This is with FreeBSD 2.1.7.1; de2/de3 is a Zynx dual 10Mb ethernet
> adapter.

This is with the updated BIOS, right?  The "5 slots" are a device
iteration count, not a true slot count (as above).

					Regards,
					Terry Lambert
					terry@lambert.org
---