Date:      Sun, 16 Sep 2012 13:52:39 -0500
From:      Chuck Burns <break19@gmail.com>
To:        "Sergey V. Dyatko" <sergey.dyatko@gmail.com>
Cc:        Marcelo Gondim <gondim@bsdinfo.com.br>, freebsd-stable@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: how to update ports while using pkgng?

On Sun, Sep 16, 2012 at 12:42 PM, Sergey V. Dyatko
<sergey.dyatko@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Sat, 15 Sep 2012 08:48:09 -0300
> Marcelo Gondim <gondim@bsdinfo.com.br> wrote:
>
>> Em 15/09/2012 01:41, Mike Manilone escreveu:
>> > Hi,
>> >
>> > I'm using ports with pkgng enabled. But I found that portmaster
>> > won't work. Is there any way to update ports? Thanks!
>>
>> Hi,
>>
>> I use "portsnap fetch update" and "portmaster" to update my ports.
>>

> with pkgng ? :/

That is akin to asking "How do I start my boat with my car keys?"
Ports and packages are NOT the same thing.

Ports are compiled from source. Packages are precompiled.

Pkgng is for packages. not ports.  Once the port is compiled, the
ports system uses whatever pkg manager you've chosen, to install it.

However, portmaster doesn't -just- use the ports system. It also tries
to pre-determine the dependencies, which is why it needs be
pkgng-aware.

Chuck