Date:      Fri, 04 Dec 98 01:21:35 -0800
From:      root@arkenstone.org
To:        <jfayre@lists.arkenstone.org>
Cc:        <freebsd-current@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: /boot/loader what to set rootdev to?

>> Okay.  If you feel it necessary to drop this thread, go ahead.  If you
>> can explain the cold boot rule's reasoning to me, even better.  If you
>> (or Mike or anybody) can tell me whether nextboot still works,
>> terrific.
> We're probably fundamentally at cross-purposes here.

Okay.  It appears that the difference of what we're discussing (which
I only just realized, sorry) is the difference between what works, and
what we want to support.

> Regarding nextboot, I can't get your question into any kind of
> context, sorry.  Is this just an entirely separate issue, or
> does "still works" relate to using FBSDBOOT versus not using
> FBSDBOOT in some way?

This is a related but separate issue.  Two or three messages ago, you
suggested that somebody write a Windows program that will either take
command line parameters or pop up a cute dialog box to let a user
select a BSD slice and kernel.  Then this program would talk to the
boot blocks and tell it to boot into that kernel with those
parameters.  After that, the program would reboot the system.

It appears that the majority of people who want to use FBSDBOOT want
to do so in order to have an icon on their Windows desktop or their
start menu that would load FreeBSD.  The others either don't have a
BSD partition or need a DOS driver to configure their hardware.  If we
are bound and determined to drop support for the second category, then
perhaps we can keep support for the first.

Now, one way to write this program immediately suggests itself to me.
Rewrite nextboot for Windows and put a GUI on it.  Hence, my
question.  I don't know any other way to talk to the boot manager,
although I'm open to suggestions.

I myself don't use Windows.  I don't use FBSDBOOT.  The box that has
both Windows and BSD on it has a partition manager.  I won't be using
this silly icon.  This thread started out as me trying to give a user
a simple solution to their problem, and now I'm to the point where by
golly, I'm gonna get *something* useful accomplished out of it.

Happy hacking,
joelh

--
Joel Ray Holveck - joelh@gnu.org