Date:      Thu, 21 Feb 2002 02:26:40 -0800 (PST)
From:      jay <jay@musubi.org>
To:        freebsd-security@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   ipf and IPFILTER_DEFAULT_BLOCK

i built a 4.5 kernel with the IPFILTER_DEFAULT_BLOCK option and after
rebooting found that i had full access in and out of the server (ssh and
other services worked), but could not ping or otherwise connect to
localhost/127.0.0.1. (got a "sendto: no route to host" error).

after my initial rules didn't work (they work on my openbsd firewall),
i tried it with these rules...

pass out quick on fxp0 proto icmp all
pass in quick on fxp0 proto icmp all
etc, etc...

but still no luck.  this happened with udp and tcp as well.
ifconfig and netstat -rn showed everything as being normal...
ipmon logged no packets being blocked (i had the log option in my rules)

i rebuilt the kernel without IPFILTER_DEFAULT_BLOCK and i could ping
localhost again. so... am i on crack or can anyone reproduce this?

=jay