Date:      04 Feb 98 23:00:06 +0100
From:      leifn@image.dk (Leif Neland)
To:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: IDE Hard Drives

At 04 Feb 98 19:53:29 Doug White wrote regarding Re: IDE Hard Drives

 > On Tue, 3 Feb 1998, David Lee wrote:
 >
 >> I have a question about what IDE drive I can install FreeBSD on.  I have
 >> a hard drive on my primary master with MS-DOS 6.22/Windows 3.11
 >> installed, a CD-ROM on my primary slave and a hard drive on my secondary
 >> master with Linux Red Hat 5.0 installed.  I am wondering if FreeBSD
 >> could be install on a hard drive which is the secondary slave?

 DW> You can, but you'll have a heck of a time booting it since your
 DW> BIOS only recognies the first two IDE disks for booting
 DW> purposes.  Using a smart boot selector should work for you
 DW> though.

I use fbsdboot (or is it bootfbsd?) from dos to boot on my 4. scsi-disk. The
kernel is on the dos-disk, and a copy also in the root to keep the thing
writing config-changes to the kernel happy.

Works nicely.

Leif Neland
leifn@image.dk

---