Date:      Wed, 14 Jan 1998 10:28:13 -0800 (PST)
From:      Rudy Gireyev <rgireyev@yahoo.com>
To:        fzhang@nmsu.edu, freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: hard disk partition

---fujie zhang <fzhang@nmsu.edu> wrote:

> i am trying to install FreeBSD 2.2.5 from a DOS partition onto a AMD
K6
> 200 MHz based PC with a 3.2 GB EIDE hard disk. my hard disk had
> originally 3 partitions - 2 DOS FAT primary partitions and an extended
> DOS partition.

Hold it right there buster :-)
You cannot, must not, shall not, will not install FreeBSD onto a an
extended partition.

> i booted my PC with a prepared FreeBSD boot floppy disk.
> then i deleted the extended partition and created the FreeBSD
partition
> in its place. i also changed one of the DOS FAT partitions to an
> extended one as FreeBSD dos not allow 2 FAT partitions. however, the
> installation did go through.

The install process leaves updating to a very last stage. You first
set *all* of the config parameters and when you basically are ready to
exit it does the actual update.

> at the installation menu there are three
> options - first automatic probing and install, second visual mode
> configuration and last text mode configuration. when i used either of
> the configuration mode, after configuration the computer HUNG. I could
> preceed with the non-configuration option to as far as partition and
set
> up the file system allocations. it would not then go any further.

See previous paragraph.

> Right now i could not even repartition my hard disk within the MS-DOS
> mode. "fdisk" did not work.

You cannot repartition it just yet. First use the DOS FDISK to delete
the non-DOS partition. That will get FreeBSD file system off of the
second primary and third extended partitions. Then somehow magically
you must delete the third extended partition.

> the computer simply hung right after i typed
> in "fdisk". i tried to change the hard disk modes - LBA, large and
> Normal. only under "Normal" did "fdisk" work. however, only 504 MB of
> the hard disk could be accessed.

Yes because the rest of the disk has FreeBSD file system on it and
Win95 can't read it.

> i can still boot my computer into
> windows 95. but only one of the 3 original partitions are accessible.
> ANYBODY WITH EXPERTISE IN AREA PLEASE HELP ME WITH ADVICES ON HOW TO
> RESTORE THE HARD DISK AND INSTALL FREEBSD.

You don't need to restore the hard disk because it isn't lost :-)
You also don't need to type in uppercase because it equates to
screaming :-)
Follow the steps above and they will hopefully get you close to the
solution, if you have any problems email me.