Date:      Wed, 22 Oct 1997 00:50:55 +0000
From:      Alex Nash <nash@mcs.com>
To:        Flemming Jacobsen <fj@login.dknet.dk>
Cc:        Alex Nash <nash@Mcs.Net>, rhh@ct.picker.com, freebsd-multimedia@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: fxtv 0.45

Flemming Jacobsen wrote:
> > I'm stumped.  The kernel appears to identify the card without a problem:
> >
> >   bktr0 <BrookTree 848> rev 17 int a irq 9 on pci0:12
> >   Hauppauge WinCast/TV, Temic PAL tuner, dbx stereo.
>
> Are you sure that the tuner is a Temic? My Hauppauge card (PAL,
> Text, Radio - probably a model 418) has a Philips tuner.
> You have to take off the Hauppauge sticker to check - be
> carefull that you don't remove the text on the stickers below.
> (I'm at work now, but I remenber setting an option in the kernel
> config. file to force the driver to assume a Philips tuner).

Doh!  I have model 452, which is most definitely NTSC.  I'll
try some experiments with OVERRIDE_TUNER.  Thanks for pointing
that out.

> The problem is probably that the sticker on the (i.e. my) tuner
> module says FM1216. I think the ones the driver is based on are the
> F[IR]1216 tuners.

Amancio came up with a nifty URL for the Philips semiconductor
search engine.  Alas, the documentation for the F[IRM]1216
tuners is off-line at the moment.

> Currently my advise to the public is: Stay away from the
> Hauppauge cards with radio.

Agreed.

Alex