Date:      Wed, 08 Nov 2000 20:59:44 +0100
From:      Andre Oppermann <oppermann@telehouse.ch>
To:        Bosko Milekic <bmilekic@dsuper.net>
Cc:        arch@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Green/Yellow/Red state for the VM system.

Bosko Milekic wrote:

> On Wed, 8 Nov 2000, Andre Oppermann wrote:
>
> > Let's have an example: There is a DoS attack being launched with
> > thousands of TCP connections to some port. Now let's assume this
> > would use up all available KVM resources. The thousand-and-first
> > TCP connection cannot be handled anymore because there is no free
> > KVM any more. Now the INET Networking subsystem has two options:
> > 1) make some resources available, eg. drop all fin_wait connections,
> > 2) refuse to accept this connection.
>
>         You forget about something.
>
>         (2) has serious implications which are not favorable. The system is
>   not only going to refuse to accept the connection, but it's going to get
>   so wedged that it's going to start dropping packets. The idea with the
>   "yellow" flag would be to stop accepting new connections, and rather just
>   deal with the presently established connections. This is way better than
>   just dropping random packets.

That is more or less precisely an other way to say "refuse to accept
this [new] connection" == "stop accepting new connections".

All I argue about is that we don't need a global flag but subsystem
local flags as you mention yourself in a later email.

Strengthen (or bugfix) the subsystems in a way that they survive a
malloc() returning zero either by stopping acceptance of new work,
by cleaning up in it's own garden or a combination of both.

--
Andre