Date:      Tue, 13 Dec 2011 12:16:30 +0100
From:      Gary Jennejohn <gljennjohn@googlemail.com>
To:        freebsd-x11@freebsd.org
Subject:   nVidia graphics card leads to X-server crashes

So, after reading the thread about which graphics card to use for
amd64 I decided to give a cheap nVidia card a try.

I bought the MSI N210-D512D2H which, as the name implies, has the
GeForce 210 GPU and 512MB of graphics RAM and is PCIe 16x.

I then proceeded to install nvidia-driver from ports along with the
nvidia-xconfig port.  I used the latter to generate xorg.conf.

X starts and everything seems to be OK until I try to start more than
a few mrxvt's.  For example, as soon as I start Opera or try to view
a movie with vlc the X-server gets a signal 11 at 0x807dc73c3.

So I then installed the latest, greatest driver from the nVidia site
(290.10), but it had identical problems with the X-server getting the
signal 11 at 0x80800efc3.

I didn't pursue it any further since I need a working system.

I haven't excluded the possibilty that I have a problem with RAM, but
I must say that the onboard ATI graphics has worked without a hitch
for several years.

I've also done uncountable buildworlds, which is generally an excellent
RAM tester.  I have 4GB installed.

So I'm at a loss to explain the problems which I've observed.

I'm not looking for solutions, just thought I'd report my observations
with a CURRENT-10 amd64 box.  Don't know exactly which SVN revision it
was, but I compiled the kernel yesterday (I'm not running it right now).

--
Gary Jennejohn