Date:      Sat, 06 Dec 1997 19:50:10 -0800
From:      Dave Overton <dave@syix.com>
To:        stable@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Make World Fails

At 05:49 PM 12/6/97 -0800, you wrote:
>In article <3.0.2.32.19971206112246.008bb5a0@syix.com>,
>Dave Overton  <dave@syix.com> wrote:
>> I am rather new to the FBSD world, but not so new to BSD...  Anyway, I have
>> ran a make world after doing a "cvsup stable-supfile", all went along fine
>> for a while, then it did this....
>>
>> cc -O -I/usr/src/gnu/usr.bin/awk -DGAWK
>> -I/usr/obj/usr/src/tmp/usr/include -c /usr/src/gnu/usr.bin/awk/builtin.c
>> /usr/src/gnu/usr.bin/awk/builtin.c: In function `sub_common':
>> /usr/src/gnu/usr.bin/awk/builtin.c:1123: `researc' undeclared (first use
>> this function)
>> /usr/src/gnu/usr.bin/awk/builtin.c:1123: (Each undeclared identifier is
>> reported only once
>> /usr/src/gnu/usr.bin/awk/builtin.c:1123: for each function it appears in.)
>> /usr/src/gnu/usr.bin/awk/builtin.c:1123: parse error at null character
>
>Your file is corrupted.  Have you been seeing any signs of disk errors
>or filesystem problems or RAM problems?  I'd run fsck if I were you.
>
>Please move the bad file to someplace safe, then run cvsup again.
>If the new one comes out the same, let me know and I'll check up on
>whatever mirror site you're updating from.  But I strongly suspect
>that the problem is in your system rather than at the mirror site,
>because of the MD5 checksumming that CVSup does.

Thanks to all of you that took time to answer my stupid (after you told me
what was wrong...) question.

For info, the file was corrupted, it had the right date and size, just a
bunch of NULL characters in it, about the middle of line 1123 to about line
1130...

Just ftp'd another copy of it, overwrote it, and started the make world
again, and all went fine.  (except the wait of course)

Disk will be fsck'd later, when I can touch the machine if it fails.

Thanks again!

Dave

Dave Overton			dave@syix.com			http://www.syix.com/
Voice 916-751-8873						Fax 916-751-8871
Premier Internet to Yuba/Sutter/Butte/Colusa Counties, California