Date:      Tue, 24 Apr 2001 03:03:11 -0500 (CDT)
From:      David Scheidt <dscheidt@tumbolia.com>
To:        "Albert D. Cahalan" <acahalan@cs.uml.edu>
Cc:        matt@fear.net, freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: How Is The FeeBSD OS Like and Different Than Say Redhat or Suse LINUX

On Tue, 24 Apr 2001, Albert D. Cahalan wrote:

:
:Thomas (Matt) Barton writes:
:
:> Another great thing about the ports collection is that everything
:> gets installed in /usr/local.  I don't have to worry about /etc
:> getting cluttered, as well as /bin, /usr/sbin, etc.  There are a
:> few exceptions, of course, such as qmail which goes to /var/qmail,
:> but that is about it.
:
:Every FHS-compliant Linux distribution reserves /usr/local
:for _you_ to use. It is for _local_ stuff only.
:
:Doesn't this make sense? If you compile a home-grown or self-ported
:app for FreeBSD, where would you put it? I hope you don't dump it

/usr/local.  I've got dozens of things there, which works just fine.
Read the hier(7) manual page.

:in /usr/local with all the stuff provided by FreeBSD! It looks like
:you need a /usr/local/local or /usr/local_I_REALLY_MEAN_IT for this.

Why?  The stuff in /usr/local isn't part of FreeBSD.  Sure, lots of what's
in my /usr/local is from the ports or packages, but none of it is part of
the *base* system.  There are oodles of FreeBSD machines that don't have
anything in /usr/local that perform just fine.  Having this stuff in
/usr/local also makes it easier to figure out what's on a new system.

:
:Putting emacs under /usr/local is a relic from the days when
:you'd buy a real UNIX system without emacs. It made sense,
:since you were installing local (your site) additions. Now you
:get emacs on a CD-ROM along with the rest of your OS.

I don't install emacs on my machines.  It's not part of the OS.

David
--
dscheidt@tumbolia.com
Bipedalism is only a fad.