Date:      Tue, 13 Jun 2000 21:17:35 +0200
From:      Roelof Osinga <roelof@nisser.com>
To:        Tara Vitori <tara@exit1.com>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: FreeBSD security

Tara Vitori wrote:

> Wouldn't this require every client box to have ssl installed on it?
> Tara
>
> Roelof Osinga wrote:
>
> > Use one of the SSL wrappers in ports/security to map the POP3
> > to the POP3S port. There should be an example or two in the
> > mail archives.

Depends on the client you'll be using as well as, for UNIX, the
way you'll be installing them. I can imagine, say, a Linux Netscape
binary to have the libs statically linked. Whereas I would imagine
that where you to build, say, pine4-ssl from the ports it would
depend on some SSL port. Thus installing SSL during the build.

Another solution would be to use SSH and run the clients on the
server. But that would necessitate installing SSH on al the clients.
Seemingly. For example, I use PuTTY as my windows telnet client
and it has SSH linked in. Does that count as an install?

Anyway, the consequence of foregoing cleartext passwords send out
over the Net is that at some point some form of encryption will
need to take place. Well, that or some challenge/response type secret
handshake thing like APOP (see also RFC 2095).

It's not like the client needs all of SSLeay, as long as it
can handle encryption it'll work. There's no need to hassle
with security certificates and stuff. Take surfing to a
secure site. Just because you can use a client certificate
does noet mean you must use one. It'll be encrypted as long as
the server has some kind of certificate. Preferably one that's
acceptable to the client <g>.

The above of course implies that if your client machines also
have browser installed and if those browsers handle secure
connections than you've already installed SSL on those boxes.

Roelof