Date:      Tue, 12 Sep 1995 11:42:48 +0200 (MET DST)
From:      hm@altona.hamburg.com (Hellmuth Michaelis)
To:        partek@indecent.com (David Anderson)
Cc:        hackers@freebsd.org, questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: PCVT problems

>From the keyboard of David Anderson:

> With the problems I've had with the cons25 console driver, I decided to
> give pcvt another shot. I've come across a few things(which I may have
> mentioned before) that don't look quite right.
>
> 1- What is supposed to be bold turns out blue.(bad mappings?)

This is as it should be. It was done because of a shortcoming in the VGA
architecture. The color assignments are changeable at compile time in
pcvt_conf.h.

> 2- The output on the screen at boot is white on a red background(not a
>    problem, just looks weird)

This is as it should be. It was done because of personal prefenrence and
is cahngeable at compile time in pcvt_conf.h.

> 3- When using IRC, the screen "shakes" when a a new line of text goes
>    through. It quite literally gives me a headache. (An incentive to stay
>    off of IRC? :) )

No idea, never used IRC.

> 4- The cursor seems to be lagged behind my typing.

You seem to be as very fast typist then ! :-)

The cursor update is done asynchronously in pcvt and its frequency is
controlled by the compile time variable PCVT_UPDATEFAST which is again
changable in pcvt_conf.h.

> 5- When using the up arrow key in tcsh to recall commands, it doesn't
>    clear the current line, so things get jumbled up.

No idea. I'm using bash for years now, and it works for me.

For your items 3 and 5: perhaps you want to switch pcvt in the HP mode
(scon -H) in which you can toggle a display functions mode by pressing F8.
In this mode escape sequences and control codes dont get executed but dis-
played, so it might be possible to find the cause of these problems.

Anyway, i would also suggest to read the (not perfect) docs in the directory
/usr/src/usr.sbin/pcvt/Misc/Doc !

Hope this helps,
hellmuth
--