Date:      Wed, 1 Jul 1998 11:55:39 -0600 (MDT)
From:      Brett Taylor <brett@peloton.physics.montana.edu>
To:        "Garcia, Joe D. (WANG)" <garciajd@bp.com>
Cc:        "'freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG'" <freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: upcoming version upgrades?

Hi,

> I was told by a person who is a UNIX admin that he was reading that
> freebsd will not be going further than version 4.4

Huh?  FreeBSD is based on the original Berkeley BSD code which DID stop at
4.4.  FreeBSD has since extended this so sure there will eventually be a
4.something, but that's a ways in the future.  Right now the development
branch is at 3.0 and the stable user branch is at 2.2.7.

> 	So I am asking you, since you may have a heads up, will there be
> a version 5 and 6 , 7 8 and so forth?  Will they keep going on with the
> developments of this operating system.

I hope so.  I just convinced the "sys admin" (read Windows person)  here
that the Linux box should be FreeBSD.  Basically she can't administer it
and I find it easier to do the things she wants to do in FreeBSD (since
I'm more familiar w/ it).  I also think that FreeBSD will be easier for
her to administer, with some preliminary help from me, once I leave
(assuming I ever finish my thesis!).

Brett