Date:      Wed, 28 Apr 1999 09:42:04 +1000
From:      Andrew Johns <A_Johns@TurnAround.com.au>
To:        Mark Ovens <marko@uk.radan.com>
Cc:        questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: How do I stop vi beeping!

Mark Ovens wrote:

> How do you stop vi from !@*?!$* beeping on errors when running in
> an xterm?
>
> I'm running olvwm and have ``OpenWindows.Beep: never'' in ~/.Xdefaults,
> ``set nobeep'' in .cshrc, and ``noerrorbells'' is set in vi, yet
> it still beeps on errors.
>
> I hate computers beeping at me!
>
> It doesn't beep if running in the console, or in shelltool, only
> in an xterm.

I don't know if this will suffice for you (it drives me crazy), but
you can turn the beep into a screen flash in xterms by Ctrl-Right
clicking, then selecting visual bell from the menu that appears. BTW:
it might be Ctrl-Left or Ctrl-Middle - I'm not sure and don't have
immedaite access to X at the moment.

HTH

--
Regards                        |    _/\_/\
Andrew Johns BSc (Comp Sci)    |   /      \

"The box said 'Requires Windows 95, NT, or better,' so I installed
FreeBSD."