Date:      Tue, 9 Sep 1997 21:57:31 -0600 (MDT)
From:      Wes Peters <softweyr@xmission.com>
To:        Nate Williams <nate@mt.sri.com>
Cc:        stable@freebsd.org, Don Croyle <croyle@gelemna.ft-wayne.in.us>
Subject:   Re: 2.2.5 release, can it be postponed?

Don Croyle lamented:
 % It often takes me two or three tries to connect to my ISP, by which
 % time a program that's attempting to open a socket has usually timed
 % out.

Nate Williams writes:
 > Try the ping trick.  It works.  Also, PPP's auto mode is as good as any
 > other on-demand product I've ever used.  The time-out problem is a
 > function of TCP/IP, not of PPP since it can't do anything with packets
 > when the link is down, and it's doing everything it can to get the
 > connection up, so if the first couple of attempts fail, the TCP/IP
 > protocol will give up.

Exactly.  Believe me, I've been through this forwards, backwards,
sidewards, and every other -wards in the last nine months.  I'm proud to
say the TCP/IP dial-up router I've been involved in building is AS
RELIABLE at connecting as FreeBSD ppp.  ;^)  (We route faster and do NAT
faster, but that is mostly a function of running far less software; we
typically have only 4 or 5 tasks running at a time.)

If you've configured ppp -auto correctly, it will do as good a job as
any.  You may want to look into writing a little script that will try 4
or 5 times doing a ping -c 1 before attempting to connect to the on-line
service.