Date:      Tue, 27 Apr 1999 23:47:58 +0000
From:      "" <bolski@netexp.net>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Problems installing freeBSD-3.1

That might be his problem or he has the same one I do. When I try to install on
an HP Vectra VL and insert the mfsroot floppy, I get the same problem. However,
if I take the exact same disks to a different computer (Not a Vectra VL), the
root disk works fine.

I think it's a problem with some floppy drives not telling FreeBSD (or FreeBSD
not reading correctly) that a new disk has been inserted into the drive.

I know this must be the case because I left the boot floppy in by mistake one
time and it asked me if I wanted to continue booting or go to the command
prompt. I did that and noticed the ls command. Without removing the boot
floppy, I did an ls and it showed me the contents.

When I then put the root floppy in and did an ls, it puked. I rebooted the
system, came back to the command prompt and ls'ed the boot floppy, removed it
and inserted the boot floppy back in and ls'ed it again. It puked.

So, there's a problem here somewhere, just not sure how to rectify it. I
downloaded the FreeBSD directory and burned a CD-ROM but of course, I can't
boot from it. I didn't use that option.

Hopefully, this can get fixed.