Date:      24 Feb 2003 10:30:21 +1100
From:      Benno Rice <benno@FreeBSD.org>
To:        Sean_Welch@alum.wofford.org
Cc:        freebsd-ppc@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Also interested in testing

--=-9EMxkHwtTBSAoV1HZA28

On Sat, 2003-02-22 at 02:16, Sean Welch wrote:
> Okay -- so the modem is accessible via a com port on
> the older iBook?  I looked up the support on OpenBSD's
> site and found that the USB attached modem is only for=20
> newer G4 systems (powerbooks).

Yep, it'll be attached to one of the zs interfaces, most likely ttya.=20
ttyb is generally infrared.

[snip]

> I went looking around for info on net booting and=20
> cross-compiling last night but didn't have much luck on
> the latter.  I found the following for net booting:
>=20
> http://www.freebsd.org/doc/en_US.ISO8859-1/articles/pxe/

PXE isn't what the Macs use, but it works in a similar way.  You need a
DHCP server, a TFTP server and an NFS server.

> I think I can puzzle out how to set up one for ppc based
> on this info.  I also found this:
>=20
> http://jeamland.net/~benno/powerpc-boot.txt
>=20
> Combined with the extensive OF descriptions on the NetBSD
> site I should be able to get it to netboot.  Question:
> Does the above link reflect a netboot from /home/spangle=20
> with a "complete" install under it?  In other words, is
> there a complete directory tree such as one usually found
> hanging off / underneath /home/spangle?  If so, how is=20
> this accomplished?  I once did a source upgrade (from=20
> 4.5-RELEASE to 4.6-RC #4) but I don't recall an option
> to install to a nonstandard location...

Yes, that's precisely what I've got in that setup.  The way you install
somewhere other than / is to do:

make <other args> DESTDIR=3D<target dir> installworld

The same works for installkernel.

> Finally, I wasn't able to find anything helpful for=20
> cross-compiling at all.  The closest I got was an=20
> archived email about problems cross-compiling for apha
> on a pc but there wasn't much detail.  Could someone
> here point me to a comprehensive guide or give me
> specific instructions?  I figure while I'm trying to
> get the new drive in and partitioned and working on
> setup for netbooting I can at least get started trying
> to compile the code base.  Any problems with compiling
> under 5.0-RELEASE I should be aware of? (Don't really
> want to upgrade the Dell while I'm trying to get the=20
> ppc code runnning with code from CURRENT)

You won't be able to build a complete world with 5.0-RELEASE.  If you
check out the current source tree you should have a better time of it,
especially if you use the flags that I posted previously (modulo
grehan's changes).

> I've noticed OF bears a striking resemblance to Sun's
> OpenBootProm; does this extend to dropping you down to
> an OF prompt on Apple after executing a halt?  Just
> curious...

They're both implementations of IEEE1275 OpenFirmware.

--=20
Benno Rice <benno@FreeBSD.org>

--=-9EMxkHwtTBSAoV1HZA28

--=-9EMxkHwtTBSAoV1HZA28--