Date:      Tue, 20 Jun 2000 16:07:34 -0700 (PDT)
From:      Matthew Dillon <dillon@apollo.backplane.com>
To:        Warner Losh <imp@village.org>
Cc:        freebsd-smp@FreeBSD.ORG, Greg Lehey <grog@lemis.com>
Subject:   Re: SMP discussion moving to freebsd-smp

:It sounds like there will be a large step function of instability that
:will be introduced right away.  Then, over time, thigns will become
:more or less stable as the work progresses.  Some days will be good
:tree days, others bad.  So long as I can boot my laptop with -current
:to do pccard work (which means it must last 15 minutes of light usage,
:ideally more), then it meets my lower bounds of acceptible.  It would
:be nice if I could also build kernels and such on my laptop during
:that time as well, but that isn't as critical to me since I can reboot
:with the older kernel.  There's some pain, but on the whole it would
:be workable if I can do these things.
:
:I know that it is hard, but can you characterize the level of
:instability that I'd see on a regular basis?  Where in the continum of
:"we talking uptimes of 1 minute or less" to "don't put this into
:production" do you see things most of the time?
:
:Warner

    Hmm.  I think from the point of view of pccard development you
    will be in good shape.  I can't really guess what the level of
    instability will be, but I think if we test things enough before
    committing (i.e. the machine has to survive a 'make' of the kernel)
    that it should be good enough to not intefere too much with your
    pccard work.

					-Matt
					Matthew Dillon
					<dillon@backplane.com>