Date:      Sun, 27 Apr 1997 17:44:49 +0200 (MET DST)
From:      cracauer@wavehh.hanse.de (Martin Cracauer)
To:        peter@spinner.DIALix.COM (Peter Wemm)
Cc:        joerg_wunsch@uriah.heep.sax.de, bde@zeta.org.au, chris@chris.netmonger.net, cracauer@wavehh.hanse.de, ports@FreeBSD.org, sprice@hiwaay.net
Subject:   Re: C-g, emacs and 2.2/3.0

Peter Wemm wrote:

> J Wunsch wrote:

> > > I'm certain it wasn't correct.
> >
> > In which way?  Please, get in contact with Steve, so a real fix can be
> > done.
>
> The biggest problem was that it interacted very badly with certain
> important things, eg: make.  ie: you press ^C and the jobs that make is
> running split off and keep running in the background.

Sorry, I don't quite understand how these characters are to be
processed and what the shell has to do with it. Isn't C-c a character
that is "handled" by the system (shell, crt0 or whatever) and C-g is a
character that is set up by the application itself?

Could someone explain? How and who is handling these and why are C-c
and C-g related?

> I seem to remember
> that another problem was how it interacted with shell 'for' loops etc.

What is right here, anyway? Should the whole loop be terminated? What
says Posix?

I sure noticed that FreeBSD's behaviour changed in all these
categories over time, but I lack an idea what is right.

Thanks
	Martin
--
Martin Cracauer <cracauer@wavehh.hanse.de>