Date:      Sat, 07 Jul 2001 18:50:11 -0400
From:      "Brandon S. Allbery KF8NH" <allbery@ece.cmu.edu>
To:        tsikora@powerusersbbs.com, freebsd-stable@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: JFS

On Saturday, July 07, 2001 18:41:12 -0400, Ted Sikora <tsikora@home.com>
wrote:
+-----
| Juha Saarinen wrote:
| >
| > On Sat, 7 Jul 2001, Dave Uhring wrote:
| >
| > > I use "logging" on Solaris and XFS on Linux and have tried reiserfs on
| > > Linux.  All are superior to UFS/softupdates when the going gets tough.
| > > Disk access times may or may not be comparable with UFS/softupdates,
| > > but the integrity of my filesystems is more important than raw speed.
| >
| > Hmmm... that's one reason I've not implemented ReiserFS on my Linux box.
| > Read too many horror stories about how it eats your file system, and how
| > it doesn't work with NFS etc.
|
| Absolutely false. Works perfectly... I have had it on several machines
+--->8

I think it depends on which ReiserFS you're using:  the development
snapshots that show up in various kernels from Linus or as patches to same,
or the polished release-quality ones that show up in some Linux
distributions.  I've been using reiserfs as provided by SuSE for over a
year without problems; but I've heard plenty of horror stories about
various bleeding-edge patches.

--
brandon s. allbery     [os/2][linux][solaris][japh]   allbery@kf8nh.apk.net
system administrator        [WAY too many hats]         allbery@ece.cmu.edu