Date:      Sun, 16 Feb 1997 11:02:01 +1030 (CST)
From:      Michael Smith <msmith@atrad.adelaide.edu.au>
To:        jehamby@lightside.com (Jake Hamby)
Cc:        avalon@coombs.anu.edu.au, jkh@time.cdrom.com, patrick@xinside.com, config@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Sun Workshop compiler vs. GCC?

Jake Hamby stands accused of saying:
> system and don't need the messages anymore.  But I have a hard time seeing
> it as "more professional", just "different".

I think Darren's call was "more suitable for stupid users".

> 1) VGA splash screen at boot, with clearly-visible instructions to bypass it
> (and see the regular hardware probe messages printing underneath).

That's actually the #1 sticking point at the moment wrt. the VGA splash;
there's no practical way to guarantee that any hotkey will let you switch,
as device probes run with interrupts turned off.

To be able to switch at all would require adding a
'between-device-probes' hook in various places, which is likely to be
an unpopular idea.

> 2) X-based installation program, including a fall-back text version for
> non-VGA users and a menu-based XFree86 setup program (some Linux
> distributions are already doing this, right?)

The current installer is actually pretty good; I can't see a great
deal that an X-based version would win you.  I recently had to train a
completely ignorant RF technician in the installation of FreeBSD, X
and our software.  With the whole process documented in step-by-step
drool-proof form it took about 10 pages or so of instructions, and one
dry run to get it right.  Half or more of the documentation is
background or details on cusomising the system once it's installed to
suit our software.