Date:      04 Feb 98 22:46:05 +0100
From:      leifn@image.dk (Leif Neland)
To:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   why must POP clients have a resolvable IP ? what about dynamic IPs

At 04 Feb 98 07:18:33 chas  wrote regarding why must POP clients have a
resolvable IP ? what about dynamic  IPs

 c> I'm sure we've all seen this error message before :
 c>
 c>>> popper[14612]: (v2.2) Unable to get canonical name of client,
 c> err = 0
 c>
 c> But the people who are collecting their mail via POP from our
 c> mailserver are accessing the web through the local ISP (which is
 c> not us.) and hence they have dynamic IPs. Is there any way to
 c> solve this in such circumstances ?

Even if they have a dynamic IP, it should resolve to something, perhaps like
dialin27.some.isp

some.isp really should fix their dns.

But the question remains: Why does popper want to resolve the ip?

Leif Neland
leifn@image.dk

---