Date:      Sun, 6 Apr 1997 05:42:47 -0300 (ADT)
From:      The Hermit Hacker <scrappy@hub.org>
To:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   internal modem lock ups w/ remote CVS

Hi...

	Just over a month ago, I upgraded my modem from an external 28.8 to
an internal 33.6, hoping to get slightly better performance out of my
'Net connection.  The problem is that now I'm getting semi-regular lockups
while connected...

	The situation is that I use remote cvs to connect to my server in
Toronto, Ontario (I'm on the East Coast of Canada) to update and commit
changes to the PostgreSQL cvs repository.

	At first, if I tried to do a cvs update, the modem would lock up
shortly afterwards, and I'd have to disconnect (kill -9 the ppp daemon)
and then reconnect...

	Finally, recalling all the talk about tcp_extensions, I disabled
those and tried again.

	Now, I can do a few 'cvs <command>' before the modem will once more
lock up, so it seems like disabling the tcp_extensions at least *helps*, but
with the 28.8 modem, I didn't require this...it just worked.

	I've tried just about everything I can think of, and was wondering if
anyone else has any ideas on what may be wrong?  My first thought was
buffer overruns, as a result of trying to pump alot of data over relatively
quickly...but then I'd think I'd be affected by stuff like cvsup, fetchmail
and ftp's...but I'm not...

	So, now that I've put that all down and thought about it...anyone
have an idea of why it only seems to affect cvs?

	I get no messages in /var/log/messages to indicate its a buffer
overflow problem or anything like that...

	I'm running 3.0-current from March 30th...

Thanks...

Marc G. Fournier
Systems Administrator @ hub.org