Date:      Fri, 01 Jun 2012 14:47:53 -0500
From:      Ron McDowell <rcm@fuzzwad.org>
To:        freebsd-stable@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Why Are You NOT Using FreeBSD ?

On 6/1/12 1:57 PM, Thomas David Rivers wrote:
> We used to have FreeBSD exclusively on desktops...
>
> Now, we have migrated to other desktops (mac) with FreeBSD running
> the build and file server...
>
> Why?
>
> Because - the mac updates itself!  No pain, no installation,
> no keeping-up with mailing lists/announcements, just<click>  and its done.
>
> Mac OS has a nice X11 server, the Mac UI is good enough, you don't
> have to install/update anything, the "app store" is perfect
> for downloading/installing whatever a desktop user might need.
>
> It was just too alluring...
>
> So, FreeBSD runs our NFS file server, and we log into a larger
> FreeBSD machine to do builds, etc... but, the desktop has moved.
>
> One developer here uses Linux Debian for about the same reason,
> it's trivial to update (via the network) to new versions, etc...
>
> Our web site used to be FreeBSD-based, but it was just too
> cost-effective to get a virtual Linux box on the backbone and
> move everything to that.  Our requirements aren't too big, so
> that works beautifully.   There _are_ people doing virtual
> FreeBSD boxes in a similar fashion, but they were quote a lot
> more for the annual fee.. so, Linux it was...
>
> I suppose, in some sense, you could argue that MacOS is FreeBSD...
>
> 	- Dave Rivers -

I feel the same way about OSX for desktops [and my desktop is also my
notebook with a monitor/keyboard/mouse].

I have been quite happy with rootbsd.com [right there in your area code]
for VM boxes, have some in Raleigh and in Dallas and they perform well,
running 8-stable and 9-stable.  I've also used vr.org for FreeBSD boxes
in Europe and Asia, no problems there either.

--
Ron McDowell
San Antonio TX