Date:      Mon, 17 Nov 2008 05:43:18 +0100
From:      Max Laier <max@love2party.net>
To:        freebsd-hackers@freebsd.org
Cc:        Steve Tremblett <tremblett@gmail.com>, Sam Leffler <sam@freebsd.org>, jT <toyj@union.edu>
Subject:   Re: Intel 5100 WiFi

On Monday 17 November 2008 05:27:48 jT wrote:
>    I know you are busy, but can you explain what about my response was
> wrong when you say doesn't require sysctl ack -- you mean
> acknowledgment?  I just would like to know for my future reference and
> Steve sorry for my misinformation.

the firmware for the iwn(4) powered cards is (in contrast to ipw(4)) provided
by Intel under a permissive license that does not require end-user
acknowledgment.  It is unfortunate that Intel doesn't release all firmware
similarly - so we have to live with the slight confusion stemming from that.

You can identify all firmware(9) modules in the tree that require a license
ack, by grepping for "FIRMWARE_LICENSE" in the module Makefiles.