Date:      Wed, 13 Feb 2002 07:10:03 -0800 (PST)
From:      "David O'Brien" <obrien@FreeBSD.ORG>
To:        freebsd-ports@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: ports/34908: libpng port makes bad dynamic library on -CURRENT

The following reply was made to PR ports/34908; it has been noted by GNATS.

From: "David O'Brien" <obrien@FreeBSD.ORG>
To: Andrej Cernov <ache@nagual.pp.ru>
Cc: "Vladimir B.Grebenschikov" <vova@sw.ru>,
	FreeBSD-gnats-submit@FreeBSD.ORG, current@FreeBSD.ORG
Date: Wed, 13 Feb 2002 07:02:51 -0800

 On Wed, Feb 13, 2002 at 05:59:02PM +0300, Andrej Cernov wrote:
 > On Wed, Feb 13, 2002 at 17:35:27 +0300, Vladimir B.Grebenschikov wrote:
 > >
 > > Programm linked against libpng.so on -CURRNET causes SIGBUS on startup
 > >
 > > >How-To-Repeat:
 > >
 > > % cat > trypng.c
 > > #include <stdio.h>
 > >
 > > main(int ac, char ** av)
 > > {
 > >   printf("Hello World\n");
 > > }
 > > ^D
 > > % gcc -o trypng trypng.c -L/usr/local/lib -lpng
 > > % ./trypng
 > > Bus error (core dumped)
 >
 > It looks like problem with new GNU binutils (I suspect ASM code). Try to
 > contact David <obrien@FreeBSD.org> on this subj.

 This is not much of a bug report.  Was libpng compiled with new binuils
 or old?  Someone that is having problems (which I am not), needs to
 compile things with -g, not strip them, use gdb and provide a REAL bug
 report.