Date:      Tue, 05 Oct 1999 15:51:49 -0700
From:      David Greenman <dg@root.com>
To:        Colin Campbell <sgcccdc@citec.qld.gov.au>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: freebsd v bsdi v linux

>Had an interesting installtion problem that has just been solved.
>
>Machine is a PIII 450 with 512MB (4x128)RAM. During installation of 3.2
>from the WC CD I'd get a wite failure or a panic of the machine or both.
>With 3.3 using NFS I just got a machine panic. These always happened
>during the bin dist unpacking.
>
>I tried RedHat 6.0 and the system panicked half way through the
>installation.
>
>The machine came with BSDI 3.1 on it. When I booted it for the first time
>I noticed that the system was reporting only 128MB RAM. Just BSDI
>weirdness I thought. Despite the repeated FreeBSD and Linux failures I was
>always able to install BSDI, but the system always reported 128MB RAM.
>Nothing dawned on me from this.
>
>Anyway, I started pulling DIMMs from the box. With only slot 1 occupied
>FreeBSD installed no problems. I pulled that DIMM and put two others in.
>No problems. Added the first one to give 384MB, no problems. Put the
>untested DIMM in and the machine wouldn't even boot! Hmm bad memory!
>
>To test a theory I then installed BSDI 3.1 again. Interestingly it now
>reported 384MB RAM. This now leads me to my question:
>
>What is BSDI doing that made it recognise the bad memory in slot 2, and
>hence only work with the first 128MB, that Linux and more importantly
>FreeBSD are NOT doing? Anyone think it's a useful enough feature to be
>added to the system? It measn that if you think you have xMB and the OS
>comes up with yMB you might have a problem.

   FreeBSD does do a simple validation of memory during the bootup and has
caught problems in the past like you've described. BSDI is apparantly just
using a pattern that tickles your memory problem where FreeBSD's does not.

-DG

David Greenman
Co-founder/Principal Architect, The FreeBSD Project - http://www.freebsd.org
Creator of high-performance Internet servers - http://www.terasolutions.com
Pave the road of life with opportunities.