Date:      Sat, 13 Feb 1999 01:41:37 -0800 (PST)
From:      Matthew Dillon <dillon@apollo.backplane.com>
To:        hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   NFS VOP calls (was Re: Lots of "panic: vrele: negative ref cnt" )

    It looks like there are a number of problems, but the one reported
    above is the only one that gets 'hit'.  The NFS code pretty much
    ignores the VOP semantics for freeing path name elements but it
    just happens to get called with the path name (cnp) structure flagged
    the way it happens to decide to use it, so it works.  But there is
    probably some leakage of NAMEI nodes when NFS errors occur.

    I've only committed the fix for the vrele panic to -3.x.  The fix
    to the rest of the mis-used path elements has been committed to -4.x
    and will not be backported to -3.x until after the release since
    I'm not 100% sure those other fixes are correct.  -3.x should not be
    detrimentally effected by not having the other junk in.

    Confused yet?  :-)

					-Matt
					Matthew Dillon
					<dillon@backplane.com>