Date:      Mon, 25 Aug 1997 09:44:10 -0500 (CDT)
From:      Richard Seaman <dick@ns.tar.com>
To:        FreeBSD-gnats-submit@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   ports/4380: Apache build fails if mod_proxy is included in Configuration

>Number:         4380
>Category:       ports
>Synopsis:       Apache build fails if mod_proxy is included in Configuration
>Confidential:   no
>Severity:       non-critical
>Release:        FreeBSD 3.0-CURRENT i386
>Environment:

Problem exists for the port apache (Apache 1.2.1 as of this writing).

Problem exists in FreeBSB-current, but I strongly suspect it exists in
RELENG-2.2.2 also, but I can't check it.  (I also think the problem
exists for apache-current under both FreeBSD-current and RELENG-2.2.2
as well).

The problem also exists for Apache 1.2.4, not yet included in the
Apache ports tree.

When mod_proxy is included in the Apache configuration, the build fails
when compiling the file proxy_cache.c.  The origin of the problem is
that the Apache port substitutes FreeBSD md5 libraries for the Apache
md5 handling, but does so incompletely in the Apache proxy library.

Note: This substitution of FreeBSD md5 library is also incomplete in
other areas (eg. in the Apache support directory, where the FreeBSD
port doesn't attempt to include anything, including even the Apache
man pages!).

Maintenance of this port would be much easier if the Apache md5
library is used instead.  After all, FreeBSD is a platform explicitly
supported by the Apache team.  However, in this case the patch
supplied below would not be necessary, but other changes to the
Apache port would be.

I'd be happy to submit the changes necessary to revert the Apache
port to use the (default) Apache md5 library, should this be
deemed desirable.

>How-To-Repeat:

After installing the ports patches, edit the file src/Configuration to
include mod_proxy, which is not enabled in the default configuration.
Run the Configure script and resume the apache build.

>Fix:

Create a patch file patch-ai as follows:

*** src/modules/proxy/proxy_cache.c.orig        Mon Aug 25 08:42:45 1997
--- src/modules/proxy/proxy_cache.c     Mon Aug 25 08:43:38 1997
***************
*** 52,58 ****

  /* Cache and garbage collection routines for Apache proxy */

! #include "md5.h"

  #include "mod_proxy.h"
  #include "http_log.h"

  /* Cache and garbage collection routines for Apache proxy */

! #include <sys/types.h>
! #include <md5.h>

  #include "mod_proxy.h"
  #include "http_log.h"