Date:      Thu, 6 Feb 2003 10:17:50 +0200
From:      Neil Blakey-Milner <nbm@mithrandr.moria.org>
To:        Rahul Siddharthan <rsidd@online.fr>
Cc:        John Polstra <jdp@polstra.com>, chat@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: patchset 2 report (billh's resignation)

On Thu 2003-02-06 (00:07), Rahul Siddharthan wrote:
> [cc greatly trimmed]
> John Polstra wrote:
> > Folks, the entire mail exchange between Bill and me can be found
> > here:
> >
> >     http://people.freebsd.org/~jdp/huey/
> >
> > Draw your own conclusions.
>
> I don't have any conclusions, only a question: is *everyone* at the
> top echelons of FreeBSD a complete and utter asshole?  I mean, were
> you trying hard to be so stuffy, pompous, condescending and rude to a
> valuable developer, or do these things just come naturally to you?
> And what exactly did you hope to achieve by posting that
> correspondence for all to read?

Hi Rahul,

While John's replies were pretty concise, and not surrounded by the
pleasantries everyone seems to require in conversations today, I don't
see John saying:

"Bill, we don't appreciate your work."
"Bill, we didn't like you and so we specifically didn't use you."
"Bill, we didn't think you were capable of doing it."
"Bill, we thought Alexey was better than you."
"Bill, you're obviously an arrogant pratt and we're happy we didn't use
you."

For what it's worth, I think John did remarkably well considering the
extreme abrasiveness (and arrogance) of Bill in this exchange.

It starts ``Why the hell was I excluded...''.  Then, ``It's
unimagineable that folks would overlook me''.  Only after calling
everyone idiots for not involving him, or corrupt for purposefully
avoiding him does he wonder ``is this just an innocent oversight ?''.

Less than 17 hours later, he says he's going to ``start slamming folks
for being complete fucks up in this regard''.  And then goes on about
how corrupt everyone else is.  Thanks Bill.

We don't know how John would've replied if Bill had asked nicely and
assumed innocence instead of assuming malintent and calling people names
and saying they're corrupt.

I'd like to suggest that someone from the Foundation mention why Alexey
got the job.  For me, ``We know Alexey, we know he can do the job, we
know he was available for the work, and we thought it was a great fit''
is good enough.  That's been good enough for other work done in the
FreeBSD community.  Justin Gibbs mentioned that there was a selection
process, something slightly more about it would probably help settle
things.

It's not that I don't sympathise with Bill's feeling that he's been
overlooked and mistreated (I feel the same way about my employer), but
he can't expect people to be friendly when he's coming out and accusing
them of corruption and mismanagement from the start.

Neil
--
Neil Blakey-Milner
nbm@mithrandr.moria.org