Date:      Wed, 30 Sep 1998 12:32:27 +0100
From:      Ben Smithurst <ben@scientia.demon.co.uk>
To:        William Schweder <pathway@home.com>, freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: freebsd

William Schweder wrote:

> ok what i mean is i have fat 32 and fat 16 on myt harddrie i resived the fat
> 32 and created the fat 16 for freebsd to install on now i just need someone
> to explian to me how i would go about installing it

Please send replies to the list as well as to me, as I have done now.

First, you don't install FreeBSD on a FAT partition, it has its own
filesystem type. You will also need more than one partition for FreeBSD;
a minimum of two: one filesystem and one for swap. (You won't need much
for swap, about 64MB may do, it depends how much RAM you have.)

As for the size of the file one, that depends on  how much you intend to
use it. I wouldn't like less that 500MB in total, and I'd prefer 1GB at
least, though 500MB may suffice.

Remember that you can't move or resize FreeBSD partitions with Partition
Magic, so make the right choice to start with :-)

--
Ben Smithurst : ben@scientia.demon.co.uk : http://www.scientia.demon.co.uk/

PGP: 0x99392F7D - 3D 89 87 42 CE CA 93 4C  68 32 0E D5 36 05 3D 16
     http://www.scientia.demon.co.uk/ben/pgp-key.html (or use keyservers)