Date:      Fri, 19 Sep 1997 11:06:49 +0930
From:      Greg Lehey <grog@lemis.com>
To:        Greg Pavelcak <gpavelcak@philos.umass.edu>
Cc:        FreeBSD Questions <questions@FreeBSD.org>
Subject:   Re: make world probs: Source file corrupted?

On Thu, Sep 18, 1997 at 07:48:00PM -0400, Greg Pavelcak wrote:
> On Fri, 19 Sep 1997, Greg Lehey wrote:
>
>> On Thu, Sep 18, 1997 at 07:56:19AM -0400, Greg Pavelcak wrote:
>>> I have been trying to make world from current sources cvsup-ed
>>> yesterday (Wed 9/17), but I haven't gotten very far. Here's a typical
>>> message right before stopping:
>>>
>>> /usr/src/gnu/usr.bin/ld/../../../contrib/gcc/cplus-dem.c: In function
>>> 'do type' parse error before character 0177
>>
>> Character 0177 is a DEL character.  That shouldn't be in a source
>> file.
>>
>>> When I check the line numbers associated with these I see thing like
>>> "string^?append" rather than "string_append".
>>
>> Yup, that's how a DEL character gets represented.
>>
>>> I don't know anything about C. Is this right? If not, how do you
>>> think those things get there and how can I change "^?" to "_"
>>> globally. The "^?" appears to be a real control character, that is
>>> it is a single character not "^" and "?".
>>
>> Your assumption that the source file is corrupted is correct.  You may
>> be able to fix things as you suggest--it's certainly worth a try.
>> Probably, though, you'll need to get a new copy of the file.
>>
>> Greg
>>
> This was a really bizarre problem with my machine. I went into that
> file and tried to replace the  deletes using vi
>
> g/^?/s//_/g (I got the ctrl-delete combination to produce this)
>
> Immediately after, just because I'm paranoid, I searched for the
> pattern and got "Pattern not Found". A few seconds later, I would hear
> some disk activity, search for the pattern again and have 5 or six
> "^?"s in the file. I don't know if I'm having hardware problems or
> what.

Sounds like it.  You might be interested in the bit patterns for _ and
DEL: they're 01011111 and 01111111 respectively.  Looks like a single
bit error.  Was it always happening where a _ should be?  Or was it
always the third bit from the left?

I've seen a similar double-bit problem: the sequence

01000111 01110010 01100101 01100111 got corrupted to
01000111 01110010 01101111 01100111 :-)

> I'm trying with different memory now and still posting my problems
> for you helpful people to see.

Good luck.  Do you have memory parity enabled?

Greg