Date:      Tue, 7 Mar 2006 20:54:54 +0100
From:      Joacim Melin <listor@melin.org>
To:        freebsd-sparc64@freebsd.org
Subject:   Netra X1 harddrive questions

Hi all,

Earlier, I got great help from you guys with enabling software raid
in my Netra X1. However, one of the drives where faulty (see below)
so I purchased a new 80GB Seagate Barracuda drive for this box, since
I already had one just like it.

However, this hasn't been working too great. The internal diagnostics
software in the Netra X1 doesn't detect the drives at all. FreeBSD
does install without a hitch, which is nice, but it won't boot up
properly since it can't find the drive to boot from.  I tried with a
couple of older Seagate drives, 20GB and 40GB and it worked fine.

Any ideas? I suspect that there is a limit on how big the drives can
be in a Netra X1 but I haven't been able to find any info about it so
far. The old root drive was a 74GB IBM Deskstar drive that worked
great (except being partly defect) and booted without any problems.
I also tried to create a separate boot partition in the beginning of
the drive but to no avail.

I also have another question. The old secondary drive is a 80GB one,
but when trying to create partitions on it, FreeBSD now reports it as
a 30GB drive. Why is this?

Thanks,

Joacim